Chances are, you’ve heard about the California wine regions in Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley. But have you ever considered visiting Southern California’s Wine Country in Temecula, California?
After visiting Temecula for the first time with my mom, I can confidently say this charming town is the perfect spot for a weekend getaway with the girls. The combination of rustic, western vibes with a chic atmosphere makes for a sophisticated yet laid-back environment. It’s filled with relaxing activities and fun adventures for a perfectly balanced weekend.
To help you plan the perfect summer weekend in this fabulous city, here are the ten best things to do in Temecula, as well as the best places to stay and directions for getting there!
Save “The Best Things to Do in Temecula” for Later!
Where Should I Stay in Temecula?
Temecula offers a wide range of accommodations—from upscale resorts situated on vineyards to cozy bed ‘n’ breakfasts nestled on family farms.
Here are some excellent properties to consider with close access to all the best things to do in Temecula:
- Carter Estate Winery and Resort—Relax in the heart of Temecula’s wine country at a luxurious resort at Carter Estate Winery!
- Hampton Inn & Suites Temecula—Stay just four minutes from Old Town Temecula in this comfortable, affordable accomodation.
- Home2Suites by Hilton in Temecula—This hotel is also located just one mile from Old Town Temecula and features modern decor and awesome ammenities.
- Private Chalet in Wine Country—Wouldn’t you love to call a rustic chalet nestled on a sheep farm your home away from home? This unique spot is located within a few miles of multiple popular wineries in Temecula!
When Is the Best Time to Visit Temecula?
This guide is curated for the best things to do in Temecula during the summer since certain activities on this list are only available during the summer months.
However, Southern California’s temperate climate makes Temecula a wonderful destination to visit all year—even during the winter off-season.
10 Best Things to Do in Temecula
1. Go on a Wine Tour
Temecula is famous for its wineries and vineyards—over 45, to be exact. That said, a trip to Temecula would be incomplete without a visit to a few of the best wineries in Temecula!
Some of my favorite local wineries in Temecula include Wilson Creek Winery, Cougar Winery and Vineyards, and Somerset Winery. Depending on your preference, you can visit a few wineries on your own or book a wine tour. Wine tours are one of the most popular things to do in Temecula!
Here are a few highly-rated wine tours that include transportation and multiple wine tastings at some of the best wineries in Temecula:
- Temecula: All-Inclusive Wine Tasting Tour with Lunch—Visit four wineries, learn about winemaking, and savor a picnic lunch.
- Temecula’s Best Rated Wine Tasting Tour—Travel to three wineries and taste six wines at each stop.
- All-Inclusive Wine Tasting Tour Wine Tasting Tour of Temecula Valley—Visit four wineries with wine tastings, lunch, and a behind-the-scenes tour at one winery.
2. Peruse the Old Town Temecula Farmers’ Market
The Old Town Temecula Farmer’s Market is one of the best things to do in Temecula on Saturday mornings from 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
This farmers’ market attracts dozens of local vendors. You can find fresh fruit, vegetables, baked goods, local honey, eggs, meats, fresh-cut flowers, plants, specialty foods, crafts, and more. The flowers were gorgeous, and I purchased some sugary-sweet strawberries that were delicious!
3. Eat Brunch at Public House
Public House is a gastropub located in a historic home in the heart of Old Town Temecula. The restaurant has outdoor seating on the patio with refreshing misters—perfect for warm summer days!
Even though they have a fantastic lunch and dinner menu, I’d highly recommend visiting for weekend brunch, served Saturdays and Sundays from 10 AM to 2 PM. They have a limited menu, but some seriously delicious items, like Berry N Cream French Toast with thick sourdough bread.
Public House also serves bottomless mimosas, mimosa flights, and hand-crafted bloody marys!
4. Line Dance at Temecula Stampede
Like I already mentioned, Temecula has a country-western vibe that reminds me of Prescott, Arizona, but it’s more upscale and sophisticated.
Needless to say, if you love line dancing and two-stepping like me, you have to visit Temecula Stampede. This nightclub isn’t just one of the best things to do in Temecula, but it’s actually the West Coast’s largest country-western music venue.
Temecula Stampede has a 4,000 square-foot dance floor and an upbeat atmosphere that’s perfect for grabbing a drink, dancing the night away, or both!
5. Walk Around Old Town Temecula
Many of the restaurants and attractions are located in Old Town Temecula, so it’s inevitable you’ll visit at least once during your visit. However, one of the best things to do in Temecula is simply perusing the local shops & boutiques in the area.
Here are some stops you can’t miss:
- Doc Brown’s Old Tyme Photos and Mercantile—This local spot allows you to dress up in old, western clothes and take themed photos for a memorable souvenir.
- Temecula Olive Oil Company—This olive oil shop sells tons of products made from olive oil. However, the best part of visiting is the complimentary olive oil and vinegar samples in the backroom!
- The Barn Yard—This charming store is filled with tons of handmade items, décor, vintage trinkets, and other gems situated in small red barns in an outdoor area. It’s adorable and definitely worth a visit for a girl’s trip.
6. Book a Hot Air Balloon Ride
Riding a hot air balloon over Southern California’s breathtaking wine country is one of the best things to do in Temecula. It will surely be one of the most memorable moments of your entire trip!
Although we didn’t have time for this activity during our weekend in Temecula this time, I would definitely add it to my to-do list for next time.
Here are some top-rated hot air balloon rides in Temecula to consider booking for your trip:
- Sunrise Temecula Balloon Flight—Soar above Southern California’s Wine Country for picturesque views at sunrise before enjoying a European breakfast in a rose garden.
- Temecula Private Hor Air Balloon Flight—Make memories with your family or closest friends on this private hot air balloon flight with beautiful views of the area.
7. Pick Blueberries at Temecula Berry Company
One of the best things to do in Temecula was a total surprise to me during my trip. Since we stayed just a few minutes away from a blueberry farm called Temecula Berry Company, we decided we would stop by one morning. It was so fun!
Temecula Berry Company is a u-pick berry farm located just a few minutes outside Old Town Temecula. From the beginning of May to the end of June, you can visit the farm and pick your own blueberries right off the bush.
They sell small containers for $5, medium containers for $10, and large containers for $20. I purchased a medium container, and it fits tons of berries! I would recommend stopping by one morning to pick some berries here. It was such a fun experience.
8. Get Coffee at Le Coffee Shop
If you’re looking for the best place to order coffee in Temecula, look no further than Le Coffee Shop in Old Town Temecula.
I knew this French-inspired café would be tasty based on the long line wrapping around the building, but wow, it was delicious! I ordered an Iced Tiramisu Latte and an almond croissant, and it was without a doubt the best almond croissant I’ve ever had (and I’ve been to Paris, so that’s saying something!).
Overall, I’d recommend stopping here during your trip to Temecula. I was sad that we only discovered this spot on the last day we were there. Otherwise, I would have been back!
9. Go Horseback Riding in Wine Country
Is there anything that can top drinking wine in wine country? Well, maybe not, but horseback riding in wine country sure comes close!
One of the best things to do in Temecula is to tour Southern California’s Wine Country on horseback. Wine Country Trails by Horseback offers 90-minute guided horseback rides through Carter Estates Winery and Resorts for a relaxing, fun way to see the vineyards from a new perspective.
10. Order Lunch at E.A.T. Marketplace
E.A.T Marketplace is located in Old Town Temecula, right behind the Old Town Temecula Farmer’s Market. We loved stopping here for lunch!
The eatery specializes in clean, sustainable, and locally-driven foods, and they have an all-day menu featuring breakfast items, soups, salads, and sandwiches. My mom ordered the Diestel Ranch Roasted Turkey sandwich, and I ordered the Chicken Pesto sandwich. They both had house-made aiolis on them, and they were so tasty!
I also loved perusing the marketplace inside, selling lots of fun trinkets, kitchen supplies, and more. This is definitely a great stop for lunch (or breakfast!) while you’re in Temecula.
More Places to Eat in Temecula
Looking for most places to eat during your trip? Try these other popular spots:
- The Goat & Vine
- 1909 Temecula
- Blackbird Tavern
The Best Things to Do in Temecula for The Perfect Summer Weekend
Which of these things to do in Temecula would be at the top of your list? Regardless of which activities you choose, you’re bound to have a wonderful weekend exploring Southern California’s Wine Country!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. This helps me keep the content on my website free, like this post about the 10 Best Things to Do in Temecula!
Save the “10 Best Things to Do in Temecula” to Plan Your Trip!
Did you love this post about the best things to do in Temecula? Check out these other Travel by Brit blog posts to help plan your trip to Southern California!